History of Du Hsiao Yueh
Taiwan Du Hsiao Yueh dates back to 1895. Ancestor Hong made a living by fishing in Tainan. Whenever the sea state was rough, he could not go fishing. During those rough sea months called “Hsiao yueh” by fishermen, he began selling noodles to pass(du)these months(hsiao yueh)instead. At first, he peddled the noodles with a shoulder pole. Before his stand, a lantern was placed marking six words ”Du Hsiao Yueh Dan Zai Noodles” . People liked this unique taste and it became so popular that Mr. Hong continued to sell it branded “Du Hsiao Yueh Dan Zai Noodles”. Now the fourth generation continues to run on this brand.
- 2017 One of selected shops during “The 2017 Taiwan Braised Pork On Rice Festival”
- 2016 Lin Shih Fang’s calligraphy “Fertile Soil” displayed in Yung Kang Branch.
- 2016 Participated in Setouchi Triennale with Lin Shuen Long
- 2016 Lin Shuen Long’s art “A chemical reaction between Taiwanese ocean culture and Du Hsioa Yueh” displayed in Yung Kang Branch.
- 2015 Selected by CNN：40 Taiwanese foods we can't live without.
- 2015 Participated in “Mini cuisines around Tainan streets” held in Plaza Hollywood in Hong Kong.
- 2015 CNN:Tainan kitchen kings around Taiwan's food capital in 19 dishes.
- 2014 Taikoo Li Sanlitun branch opened in Peking.
- 2014Second branch “New Tung An” opened in Peking as.
- 2013First branch “Parkview Green” opened in Peking as.
- 2013 “Selected excellent restaurant in 2013” awarded by MOE
- 2013 “Outstanding international store” for Taiwan brands abroad awarded by MOE.
- 2013Honored as one of “the best 101restaurants in Asia”.
- 2012 Yung Kang store was honored as one of “excellent restaurants in 2012” by MOE.
- 2011 Awarded as” top 10 gifts” by Tainan Government.
- 2011 Honored as one of “Top 10 100-year traditional shops” by MOE.
- 2011 Direct-controlled Terminal store opened on B2, International CKS Airport.
- 2008 Direct-controlled Yung Kang store opened on Yung Kang St, Taipei.
- 2008 Direct-controlled Chung Hsiao 2nd store opened on Chung Chen Rd,Tainai.
- 1999 Direct-controlled Chung Hsiao store opened on Chung Hsiao E. Rd, Taipei.
- 1991 The 3rd generation moved to 16, Chung Chen Road and extended the scale.
- 1985The 3rd generation moved into the lane on Chung Chen Road to operate the business due to the reconstruction of the original site.
- 1946The 2nd generation opened the store at 144, Chung Chen Road.
- 1895 Origin: Du Hsiao Yueh Dan Zai Noodles started by the founder Hong Yu To who sold with a carrying pole along the street.
100-year Inscribed Board
This board was inscribed by the poet Yang Nai Hu. After enjoying our noodles, he always felt desirous, and happily wrote this poem to Hong Zai Lai-the 2nd generation ancestor.
The Poem:poet/ Yang Nai Hu
Thin rice noodles and noodles serve.
Guests around feel satisfied all night long.
In old city this delicacy is a good addition.
pork smell brings forth rich tasty flavor
Generation heir Hong Zasi Lai to the 3rd generation heir Hong Chen Ming and used till 1995. So this pot symbolizes 100-year inheritance and Du Hsaio Yueh’s legacy.
In the picture the wood scoop was used to stir and mix minced pork, a tool used by the first generation ancestor.
This chair was seated by Mr. Hong Chen Ming, the 3rd generation heir when he was cooking. In 1972, one Japanese offered JPY 3 million to own this history chair, but was refused by Hong Chen Ming. To him, it is one of inheritances for Du Hsiao Yueh beyond money.
Bowl from 1st generation
The bowl was used by Hong Yu Tou, the ancestor, which lasts about 100 years.
Bowls from 2nd generation
The bowls were used by Hong Zai Lai(grandfather), the 2nd generation heir, which last about 70 years.
Bowls from 3rd generation
The bowls were used by Hong Chen Min(father), the 3rd generation heir, which last about 70 years.
In 1945, the end of Japanese rule, this can-making tool was bought to improve the production quality of minced pork.
There was no gas before 100 years, and Du Hsiao Yueh had to use woods to burn and cook noodles. This hatchet in the picture was used to chop woods, so it is one of important assets owned by Du Hsiao Yueh.
Du Hsiao Yueh’s vision and mission
The key in our management is customer-focused culture . Every employee dedicates to achieve 100% of customer satisfaction and attentive services. Through full structuring of service quality system and employee training, our team strive for creative innovation strategy and excellent service. Eagering to provide truly unique dining experiences, we aim to become first rate restaurant of all time.
Considering our dish to be “new Taiwanese cuisine”, we present you Taiwan’s food culture of diversity and inclusion by discovering fresh locally-sourced ingredients and cooking seasonally. With the concept of LOHAS, Slow Food, modernity and creativity, various Taiwanese-style cuisines are created, which present perfect flavor and taste that satisfy your stomach and soul.